logo

Home   —

10-year-old Oklahoma boy saves mom from drowning when she begins to have a seizure while she is swimming in the pool

10-year-old Oklahoma boy saves mom from drowning when she begins to have a seizure while she is swimming in the pool

A 10-year-old Oklahoma boy saved his mother from drowning when she had a seizure in their backyard pool, and the dramatic security camera footage was captured and shared by the family. Gavin Keeney saved his mother, Lori, on August 5 in Enos, Oklahoma and marked the second time he was her hero after attempting a Heimlich maneuver and calling 911 when his mother choked on food in 2021.

In the video, Lori begins to convulse in their pool, and Gavin quickly rushes up the ladder and dives in.

He makes his way to his drowning mom and lifts her chin above the water, and reportedly did not call for help at all. Gavin is unable to lift his mom out of the pool, but his grandpa Stephen Lowe appears in the frame toward the end of the clip, and is able to lift both to safety. Lori called it ‘one of the scariest moments of my life.’

Luckily, Keeney’s dogs alerted Lori’s dad, Stephen Lowe, who lives next door, and he jumped in to help his daughter. Lori spoke to Storyful and said, “I later learned that he never asked for help. My dad, who lives next door, heard the dogs barking and he ran outside and jumped up as Gavin held me on the ladder and kept my head above the water.

Lori posted the video on Facebook and said that “one of my worst nightmares came this morning”. She said she was ‘hesitating’ to share the video because it was ‘very very difficult’ for her and she didn’t like ‘people witnessing when I had a seizure’.

Lori called her son her 'little hero' and said while she was hesitant to post the video, she wanted to show people how brave Gavin was

I’m okay, I took in just a little water we think before Gavin got me. I can’t believe I just said that. I can’t believe I’m typing this. I CAN believe what I saw in Gavin, my little hero,’ she said.

Gavin first had to save his mother in May 2021 when she started choking on a chip, forcing the boy to attempt a Heimlich maneuver. But Gavin wasn’t strong enough to clear his mom’s airways and rapidly called 911, guiding firefighters to his mother who was gasping for air. ‘She was still breathing, and we started the Heimlich maneuver,’ recalled Enos Volunteer Fire Department Chief Joshua Gilette. ‘After about the third or fourth thrust, it came free.’ Gavin’s quick thinking that day earned him an honorary place in the Fire Department. ‘He’s been through so much with me and my health and he handles it with such grace and maturity,’ Keeney said. ‘Proud isn’t enough of a word!’

Source: Dailymail.co.uk

Share Post:

Reddit
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Tumblr
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments